The last couple weeks have been pretty eventful for the NYC stuttering community. NSA Brooklyn had one of their largest turnouts of the year (30 people!) and the following week the Midtown group had 34 members, with four brave first timers! At the Midtown group, as usual we split up into 3 small groups and discussed a range of topics – why we tell people about stuttering, how we advocate for ourselves. We’re keeping this one super short guys.
Fittingly, International Stuttering Awareness Day (ISAD) fell on the Thursday after our meeting (Oct 22nd). Some of us decided to educate our families, co-workers, classmates, peers about stuttering. Most people don’t know a thing about it, and the little they do know, they need to unlearn. Check out the official ISAD website, complete with cutting edge research and think pieces related to stuttering. There are some great pieces up this year.
And this past Sunday, we had our NYC October Outing – about 20 NSA members in the city gathered in Chinatown for Dim Sum Sunday. We ate many small plates of greasy, delicious dumplings, then strolled over the the World Trade Center Memorial..a very pleasant Sunday afternoon. Check out our Facebook page for some pictures, and for more info on upcoming events. We will be sending out information as well about events in November & December soon. We hope you can all make it to an event or two 🙂
- We started a WhatsApp group for our members who want to be in touch to make plans to hang out with other people in our community. Sign up here.
- Mark your calendars for the Annual NSA in NYC Holiday Party on Saturday evening, Dec 12th! Location and exact time TBD.
- Next Queens meeting is Monday, Nov 2nd from 7:00-8:30Pm at the Flushing YMCA, Blue Room.
- Next Brooklyn meeting is Monday Nov 9th from 7:30 – 9PM at the Brooklyn YWCA (30 3rd Avenue)
- Next Midtown meeting is Monday, Nov 16th from 7:30-9PM as Aspire
- We want to hear from you. Please take one minute to send us your feedback and ideas!
Hope to see you all soon!
– Stavro | nycstutters.org